Sunday, February 13, 2011

Love Poetry for the Repugnant: Dear Non-Believer,

To the untrained eye it may appear that I found a life in the last few days, but in reality that's only partially true. Went to a party, wrote a paper, still not a fan of my laptop, but the keyboard did flatten out a bit (or I just adjusted to it).
Anyway, this letter goes out to someone I met at a bar...


Dear Non-Believer,

We only shared a picture together
and I have no idea who you are.
No... really I don't.
You asked me repeatedly, but I was never afraid of you.
My friend, however, was a bit concerned that if
she threw a drink in your face that you may
stab us.
Calling yourself the "Non-Believer" is
no way to get into anyone's pants.
Maybe you should drink a lot more
before you try to invent your own nicknames--
which is pretty pathetic anyway.
In some poor art student's portfolio there lies
a photograph of two people in black
and fishnet trapped for eternity
next to the "Non-Believer."

Cheers,
J

4 comments:

  1. It's never a good sign when they repeatedly ask if you're afraid of them. Nice work capturing the moment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You need to post a pic of this guy.

    While I was reading this story, I couldn't help but think of the dip-shit I came across on OKCupid.

    I think he thought he was intense; I just thought he was daft.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have a copy of that picture, and I truly have no clue who he was. The incident that inspired the poem happened about 6 or 7 years ago and that's the only time he made me aware of his title. He just looked like a scraggly nerd who dressed in black...and you know there are so many people out there who think they're intense when they really just come across looking constipated or cross-eyed, or both.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, it couldn't be the same guy then. The one I was speaking was like 19, so he would have been about 12 at the time.

    ReplyDelete